Sunday, May 17, 2015

London! Trains, planes and automobiles. Actually a train and the tube.

We easily managed the drive to the flat in Teddington using our host's wonderful directions and the TomTom. We've learned to ignore the darned thing when it wants us to deviate from the written directions and it soon corrects itself. I'm much more confident in my driving and where I am in my lane in this humongous car also.

We also easily found our way into Northern London to catch some jazz at a club called Pizza Express. I have to say that the internet and smartphones make finding your way around so much easier now.  Take the train to London/Waterloo station (the last stop) and then follow the signs for our tube, the Northern Line. We even knew which way to turn once we left the tube station, modern technology is wonderful. I still remember when I went to Ireland in 2000 with my friend, Mary, and how hard it was to try to read the local bus maps in Dublin. We finally just bought a 2-day "hop on/hop off" tour bus pass and used that as our public transportation.

The Pizza Express was a pleasant surprise. Good food and great sight-lines in the basement club (a bigger restaurant is upstairs). With a name like Pizza Express we expected something a little more informal. We heard a English quartet with an American singer, Selena Jones, who now lives in London. 

 Back in Teddington after a late night.
I'm tired but luckily it's a short walk back to the flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 22, 2022 - Day 53 - Stockholm, Sweden

  Today was probably the best day of our whole trip. Maria owns a tiny cottage in the heart of the city and we went there for the day. She b...