Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Hiking the Quairaing, Uig Bay, Ian as hiking guide, Dutulm Castle, dinner out. Part 2

Ian drove us to Uig Bay to take a few pictures. 




Ian then took us hiking on the Quiraing “Karrang” trail to test our hiking skills and stamina. It was only about three miles round trip but there were parts that were a little tricky, where we had to cross running water over stones while finding handholds on the side of the mountain path. There were times when you rounded a corner and the wind almost blew you over. I managed to fall twice on the way back and I had to tell Ian that that sort of hike was the limit of my ability anymore. And I walk three miles daily to work and back! 
Ian has parked the car and we've started the hike. Here is a good picture of the single track roads.



 
The hiking path

Ian as guide, then me, and Don took the picture.


This bit was tricky and I was glad for the walking stick. This is also where I fell for the second time on the hike back, but not too badly.
 
Here you can see the hiking path. We are going just up to those rock points in the center of the picture.


Here is Ian, showing me how it's done, as I cling to the rocks and the tiny shrubs while negotiating running water over slippery rocks.


Right about here is where I had my first fall. It was wet and slippery. I got my jeans muddy.
After the hike we went to the Single Track cafe for cauliflower soup, bread, coffee and cake. Then it was off to the Duntulm Castle ruins, it was extremely windy.
Ian taking a picture.

Add caption


The view in the other direction.
 Don and I then got cleaned up for our dinner at The Three Chimneys, a Michelin rated restaurant that is very hard to get into, I just managed to snag a reservation for two at 9pm on a Sunday night, neither Jacqui or I could find one for four people at all for the week we will be here. The food was very, very good but the service is a little shaky, we didn't get any wine until the main course of a three course meal with an amuse bouche before the starter! But the food really was fabulous and besides the amuse bouche before the three courses we also got a handmade chocolate after everything. Jacqui graciously drove us to The Three Chimneys and Ian picked us up so we could enjoy drinks with our meal. I did have a little fun asking the server to please call “our driver” to come and get us when we were done with our meal.




No comments:

Post a Comment

May 22, 2022 - Day 53 - Stockholm, Sweden

  Today was probably the best day of our whole trip. Maria owns a tiny cottage in the heart of the city and we went there for the day. She b...