Wednesday, September 11, 2019

More magnificient scenery, I buy stuff, the horrible tourist drivers.

I'm writing this blog after having been here for four days and driven over 100 miles (which is the equivalent of 500 miles anywhere else, those single track roads are killer) and I have to say that the tourists are crappy drivers and don't know how to park and I would kill them if I lived here. 
  • They drive 35 in a 60 speed zone on the highway and don't know enough to pull over and let you go by, 
  • Don't know enough to look ahead up the road, when it's a single track road, and plan to pull into the passing place so someone can get by you without a head-on collision,
  • Can't park correctly so that they always take up three or four spots by parking sideways to the curb/grass/stones instead of parking nose in, 
  • But the worst is when they park in a “passing place” spot to take pictures and then traffic either backs up or someone gets in an accident.
I can tell which cars are the rental cars driven by tourists because they either have 19 or 68 in the license plate.I'm glad Ian and Jacqui took the time to show me how it's done here, I feel very confidant driving on the roads.

But now, here are some pictures I missed from Monday of the Island Life Museum, it was closed but we took some pictures of the "black houses".




The next day, Tuesday, Ian drove us around some more, mainly to do a little shopping and some sightseeing. First up was the Post Office where Ian needed to post a package and where I bought some wood postcards/toys for the grandsons. Then we went on a quest to find t-shirts for the grandsons from the Isle of Skye. We stopped at a yarn shop where I bought two skeins of alpaca/silk yarn and the coffee shop next door had t-shirts and other touristy stuff so I managed to get shirts for my grandsons, something I try to do where ever we travel to. Then we went to Skye Skins where they have very cushy sheep skin rugs and other types of animal skins. Plus they had the best pair of boots and they had my size! We had lunch at the yurt shop that is part of Skye Skins and then back in the car for a ride to Waternish and the Trumpan Church.











Coming back from there we stopped at the jetty on Stein where we all had a very interesting conversation with a fisherman who was separating his catch of crabs and lobsters by size. He sells to the local restaurants of course, but he also sells to suppliers who then ship his catch as far away as Spain! If you are eating lobsters or crabs in Spain they most likely came from Scotland. 




 
Ian is a wonderful impromptu tour guide and knows so much of the island history and culture, it was great fun driving around with him. I got to drive back from Stein because I needed the practice.  It was very nerve racking and I drove very slowly but Ian is a good teacher and I feel I'll be able to drive us to the Tallisker Distillery tomorrow.

We had a night in with Ian and Jacqui, playing Scrabble (Jacqui won) and drinking cocktails and eating a wonderful curry that they made.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 22, 2022 - Day 53 - Stockholm, Sweden

  Today was probably the best day of our whole trip. Maria owns a tiny cottage in the heart of the city and we went there for the day. She b...