Friday, November 23, 2018

Day three in Puerto Vallarta. Boat, water, boat, water, banana boat, water, boat.

Another day of getting up early to go somewhere. This time we got up at 6 am to make it to the Marina to sign in for our snorkel tour and to pay the environmental and marina fees in cash (about $4 USD total). 

It's a good thing we got up early because Uber totally failed us (there is no Lyft here). We had four drivers cancel on us, and after waiting 20 minutes for various drivers to not show up we cancelled after the 5th driver and walked two blocks and caught a taxi. The Uber ride would have been about $4.50 USD and the taxi was $6.50 USD. The taxi driver said that Uber drivers in Mexico do that all the time, they cancel trips if they get one that will make more money for them. Uber is not regulated in Mexico. 


 Leaving the marina. After a continental breakfast on the boat we went snorkeling.
Snorkeling!
 Here I am, trying to a paddle board for the first time. Let me tell you, it's hard on the knees.
I didn't even try to stand up. Perhaps I should have. However, I hate swallowing sea water and I had already had enough of that. The waves were choppy and snorkeling was a little strenuous.

We had a buffet lunch on the boat of sandwiches, tuna macaroni salad, fruit, and chips. Lots of fresh juice. I wasn't hungry and when I looked at my watch I thought it had stopped. Nope, they fed us lunch at 10:30! Later, I snacked on cheese and fruit since I didn't eat hardly any food at lunch. 

We went past a nature preserve with lots of birds on the island. No one is allowed on the island any more, people do too much damage.




Now it was open bar time! We really didn't drink all that much, and thankfully, the drinks were weak. A couple of tequilas and lots of water were enough for us. 

We then arrived at a small beach where we had to swim to shore. There was a rope you could use to haul yourself along if you were a weak swimmer. For the few people who absolutely could not swim, even with life vests, a small boat brought them to shore. I was glad for the rope, the waves were fierce! We don't have any pictures because we had to swim to shore. 

The extra touristy Pirate Boat!

We were just relaxing on the beach, drinking beers, when I saw the "banana boat" and thought it would be fun to ride it. Little did I know. I should have read the reviews first except the banana boat ride is not mentioned on the itinerary. Here is a picture of one:
You sit astride it while hanging on to a rope for dear life. The banana is towed by a boat and at first it's fun and still somewhat easy, then it goes faster and then the boat takes a really sharp turn and the people on one side of the banana are straight up in the air and the people on the other side of the banana are being dragged through the waves at top speed and the next thing you know, you, your husband, and a 9 year old boy have all been pulled off the  back of the banana by the force of the water.

That wasn't even the bad part. I didn't lose my prescription sunglasses and neither did Don (Don actually managed to hang on to the banana for a bit before letting go and his glasses never came off, mine got tangled in my hair and ended up behind my head). Nope, swimming back to the banana wasn't so bad (even though I was exhausted and full of sea water). No. No. What was the absolute WORST was trying to get back into the damned banana. There is nothing to grab, no ropes, nothing. I didn't have the upper body strength to hoist myself up just by the arms. Finally, another passenger got in the water and boosted my up by my feet and I managed to scramble/flop my way in like a dying fish. And just now, looking at the reviews, I see that this is a common practice, to dump the passengers in the ocean. Everyone complains about the same thing, how hard it is to get back into the banana boat.  Never again will I go on the banana boat. 

So, after the banana boat experience we sat on shore, drinking water, and just generally trying to recover. Then it was time to swim back to the boat and head to the Marina. Lots more drinks and some truly hilarious entertainment by the crew:
The tour guide, aka Axyl Rose, tearing off his pants in preparation to sing.


There was also break dancing (on a moving ship!), and other "bands".

And in case you think we didn't have any fun, just because of the banana boat experience, here's a picture of me feeling fine:

After this we needed to go back to the apartment and shower and nap. Then we went to dinner at Andales where we sat on the 2nd floor balcony. They were offering the Thanksgiving traditional dinner but we chose seafood instead. Then we strolled the malecon in the evening and stopped at Cuates y Cuetes again because there was such a good singer and guitarist in there.



No comments:

Post a Comment

May 22, 2022 - Day 53 - Stockholm, Sweden

  Today was probably the best day of our whole trip. Maria owns a tiny cottage in the heart of the city and we went there for the day. She b...