Sunday, July 3, 2016

Paris Day Four - Mostly Museums

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but it has rained at least once every day we've been here and it is quite cool (high of only 64 today) so we've been going to museums and we'll save the sunny days to come for walking outside more and for riding the water taxis on the Seine. This morning we decided on the Musee D'orsay and we also made a side stop at a small modern art museum, the Jeu de Paume, a center for modern and post-modern photography and media. 

We managed to show up at the Musee D'orsay only a half hour after it opened (I had to stop for a latte and a pastry or we would have got there sooner) and the lines were super long. I'm glad we bought the 6 day museum pass, we just walked right in through the ticket holders door. We headed for the 5th floor where the Impressionist paintings are, it was already crowded but we still got to see all the paintings. All of them. Here are a few:
 Don't remember.
 Monet
 Very famous, and very large, Monet.
 Monet
 Not Monet. Edouard Manet
 One of my favorites and I was so excited to see this close up! I had a framed poster of this painting for years! It is "The Floor Planers" by Gustave Caillabotte and this is a very large painting.
 I think this is a Manet, he really liked to put naked women in his paintings.
 Degas! It was interesting to see that he used fabric for the skirt and for her hair bow. It was very yellowed from old age.


 Then we went to the Post Impressionists room:
 But first a picture of a very large clock.
 Paul Gaugin? I forgot.
 I did some (very quiet) squealing to myself when I saw this. I love all things by Van Gogh.
 Van Gogh!
 Van Gogh!
 More Van Gogh!
 Yep, this is Van Gogh also.
 Ha, fooled you! Not Van Gogh, this is Gaugin.

 Slightly blurry Van Gogh.
Next up were the Rodin sculptures (plus some by other artists).









More art outside of the museum (mostly more naked women):




 This one is actually in the Tuilleries Garden
 So is this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 22, 2022 - Day 53 - Stockholm, Sweden

  Today was probably the best day of our whole trip. Maria owns a tiny cottage in the heart of the city and we went there for the day. She b...